Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Crazy days!

I know I haven't been much of a blogger these day but I am here now, which is what matters. Today I am going to blog about something that I have been dealing with for a while which gave me a HUGE scare!
When I was in highschool and first half of university, my fav past time was tanning - seriously it was a hobby and I got addicted. I always told my self I could stop when I wanted but everytime I tried and my tan would fade even just a little, I would go crazy and say to my self 'ok one more month and I'll stop' or 'ah, I have my gf's birthday next weekend and then a wedding the weekend after etc etc'. I always had a reason not to stop.
In May 2009, I was on my computer and was doing an essay when I decided to stop take a look at my self and realize, I have like 100 little beautymarks/moles in which I HATE them all! What did I do, I visited my old friend Mr. Google...and guess what Mr. google told me......BAD THINGS! I started getting really worried and told my self that once my exams were over I really need to get checked out. I did, and this was where I stopped tanning in tanning beds and very rarely tan outside during the summer. My doctor told me I really had nothing to worry about but he would send me to a dermatologist to make me feel at ease. It took 3 months to get the appointment and in November 2009 I finally went to see a dermatologist. She was really nice, but really serious. She told me that some of the moles on my body raise concern and I need to now take extra care...which I have been trying!
Since November I have removed 10 moles, 2 of which have had to be removed twice as they have come back. I had my 3 month check up last week where I removed two and my doctor just reminded to make sure I am protecting myself against the sun.

I actually grew to love my self not being tanned as crazy as it sounds and I have now realized that I wasted alot of money and gained wrinkles on something that is temprorary and really not worth it.

My dermatologist is really good so up until Sunday night I really had no worries about my issue with my skin. I started watching grey's anatomy lately, and I am on season 5 where Izzy (for those of you who watch it) gets diagnosed of melanoma from just removing one mole. It bothered me and started to get me thinking so I went to Mr. google again. This time I have more information on the type of moles I have which all come back as dyplastic. Google over mentions that those who have dyplastic nevus has higher risks of melanoma espesically if they have a history of being exposed to the sun = ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried hard not to think about it and ended up going to sleep. The next day my family doctor called mentioning he'd like to see me tomororw (which was Tuesday) regarding my last weeks results. Of course at this point, I'm thinking...first, why is my family doctor calling me about my results when this is like the 5th time I'm waiting on results and I always deal with it with my dermatologist, secondly, why hasn't she called me, and thirdly, I'm thinking worst case scenario.

I went crazy that night because I was thinking of grey's anatomy, google, and trying to figure out why he wants to see me.

Anyways, the next day I ended up sleeping in because I went to bed so late, I missed the first half of my class, and was barely hungry - which is SO UNUSUAL!
Lucky for me, I had a friend after class who was trying to assure me its not a big deal, and trying to keep my mind off of things until I had to go to my appointment. I decided to go earlier then 4:30 pm (my appointment).
I get there at 1 30 and my family doctor is out for lunch for an hour...I decide to go to the dermatologist office as they are in the same building and they were so confused because they did not get my results and were unsure as to why my family doctor was calling me about it and why he got them before the derma office.
Anyways, they managed to get the results and told me all was fine and they were a bit upset that my family doctor would call me for NOTHING.
This in fact was not true, my family doctor was looking out for me and my well being. He is aware of the family history in my family and how many extended memebers have had cancer so he wants to assure that I am being treated properly. The results were not completely fine - BUT NOT WORRYSOME like how I had been. The results just simply indicated that one mole was severely dyplastic which means if it is not removed from the root it will spread quicky in my body and possibly (not necessarily) turn into melanoma.

Anyways this post is really long, lol...but the good news is my family doctor spoke to my derma doctor and I have another appointment on Tuesday for a removal.

I hope everyones week is going well, not to stressful, and the weekend is ALMOST here !

3 comments:

  1. So glad you are taking extra precautions now. I saw that grey's episode too. So scary. If only we knew then what we know now... Haha. All we can do is move forward. Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww steph not too worry, your doctor is going to take real good care of you :) I'm glad you are being treated and getting checked up on regularily b.c that's what matters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So important to be careful...but I know what you mean. It's hard to give up that great tan:) Be well.

    ReplyDelete