Thursday, July 22, 2010

Spare some change?

A thing or two that bothers me...

Late this afternoon I arrived downtown and was walking to the building I needed to get to where I noticed a homeless male holding a sign that said 'looking for employment, please spare change'. I never thought too deeply about this man but as people walked by he was begging for their money. Normally, if I feel at ease with giving a homeless person money, I may spare them something small, this time I chose not to. I know many people who choose not to give any money ever, and frankly to each their own. The way I look at it is, regardless what they choose to do with the money its their buisness, I did my part.
There is a stereotypical assumption that all homeless people are criminals......is this true, absolutely not! Yes, many homeless people are forced into certain survival habits because they have not been given an opportunity for more. I certainly understand this, but I do know my safety is more important then giving someone 50 cents. Anyways back to my story...
Late this evening I was starting to head home, and around the time I was leaving it was fairly dark, it was past 9:00. I had to pass the area that homeless man was earlier, and to my surprise he was still there. I thought to my self when I saw him from far, wow he says he is trying to look for employment but its been 4 and half hours since I last saw him, in the same spot, doing the same thing.
Anyways, as I walked past him, he said hey, you spare me change please I am poor. I felt uncomfortable so I continued to walk but was worrid because in less the 10 foot steps from him, I have to turn into an allyway to walk to my car (in which by the way I ran). When he noticed I ignored his request, he actually got upset and said 'dont pretend you didn't hear me, your just trying not to make eye contact, it's cause I'm poor'.
When I got to the car, I started to think, no sir thats not why I didn't look at you...I feel for you I do, but in the society we are living in getting help starts from yourself. You stayed in the same spot from my understanding for over 4 hours, how do you think you are going to find employment by doing that. I'm being mean but seriously what bothered me is that you expect me, a woman walking alone at night downtown to bend over backwards and give you money. NO I will not do that!! This is exactly, what I would have love to say him...

Excuse me, you do not know me, nor do I know you! I dont know what brought you here, and you dont know what brought me here. When people give you money, be thankful, when people do not...dont get mad and start yelling. You are begging me for money but guess what...I should be able to walk on this street and feel like I shouldn't have to run when YOU get upset because I didn't give you change! AND another thing, many homeless people get upset and feel like people are being mean to them by IGNORING THEM, but its just individuals like you, who have made girls walking alone down the street AFRAID, yes afraid to make eye contact.

I truly am venting, I do indeed feel for those who are not fortunate, even thoose who struggle because of their own fault but it can be very scary when you are alone, and pre concieved stereotypes are being reminded in your head because a homeless person is snapping on you because you chose not to give him any money.

Anyways that was my blog for the day!

Goodnight.

3 comments:

  1. Wow - you certainly vented!! Its always good to out your thoughts out there and even better when you can write it out!!

    XOXO
    Kiki

    Hope you have a GREAT weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, stop by my blog to see the great reveal: An entire week of giveaways!!

    XOXO
    Kiki

    ReplyDelete