It's been about a month and a half since I last visited the women shelter. When I found out that I had skin cancer, I took some time off from both volunteering at the women shelter, and from Big Brother and Big Sisters.
My plan was to start back at both of them in January. Although the Women Shelter sends daily emails, if they are in need of any extra volunteers. Tonight after work, I thought I had to make dinner, but exciting and surprising...dinner was already made!! So it was quick !! LOL. I had no plans and I got an email on my phone from the shelter asking if there were any volunteers that would be able to help out for an hour and half at tonights "New Years Resolutions meeting".
I got the the shelter at 6:45, so 15 minutes early, I got a chance to catch up quickly with the councellors and other volunteers. It felt really good to be back. I honestly couldn't believe how, volunteering at the shelter sheds a different light on me, its crazy (in a good way of course). The women that are currently being housed, are all new to me so this was going to be a whole new ball game for me. Also I've never really sat in on a meeting before so that was different.
The point of the "New Years Resoulution Meeting" was to motivate and encourage each woman towards and positive future. Each woman had an opportunity to speak about their struggles (if they wanted to), and what has brought them to the shelter. Also, each woman also took something positive out of their situation, and what they learnt from it, that will benefit their lives in 2011. I am glad I attended this meeting because we all have struggles and issues, and we all handle situations differently. Although, tonight showed, its what you take out of the situation that contributes to who you are and how you are shaped - I think anyways! All of these women come from all walks of life, and have different horrific stories, but yet, each and every single one of them manage to look at the positive sides! THIS WAS AMAZING! They taught me something! I try to do this when I can, but sometimes it doesn't always pan out this way, but really, tonight, I thought to my self, why the heck not, if they can do, I should be able to, they inspired me!
So....things, I look forward to in 2011
1) Being more loving to those I care about!
2) Showing appreciation to those around me!
3) Try to take out more good than bad in a situation!
4) Be proud of my self for taking the leap in writing the LSAT - regardless of the results.
5) Committing myself to 2011 Toronto Campaign against skin cancer. My hope here is not to force people to stop tanning with out protection, but to shed some light on the dangers. Ultimately, I can only try!
6) Finally, living more, laughing lots, and loving all!
What are some of things you would like to see within your self, or anything else? Please feel free to share
S,
xoxo
I love you S... You are absolutely right about it all and I am so happy you have found what motivates you!... Those are some really amazing resolutions you listed... we all need to do those exact things to make a difference. I too!... lets make this new year nothing but a positive one.. and I am so happy that you and I will work on the same stuff this year... Its the only way to change Us, our outlook and even the world around us! Love you babydoll<3
ReplyDeleteThese are such fabulous resolutions! All the best to you in 2011--it's goimng to be a great year:)
ReplyDelete