Tuesday, November 9, 2010

When life doesn't go how you planned

Hello my bloggers, this blog entry today is something that is personal, and yet I feel will help me by sharing it.

The last two years I have buckled down overall, I worked hard in school, and work part time on the weekends. I try my hardest to balance work, school and a social life, sometimes it can be difficult.
I just applied to Law school, and I am writing my LSAT December 11th, so I feel so stressed because its so close and I'm not anywhere near being ready. I'm also thinking of applying to teacher's college, as a back of plan! Who knows, will see.

I seem to have all these big plans, expecting life to always fall in place, it is not always the case and I finally realized that. I've been seeing a dermatologist for the last year, and on my last visit she said my results should be in soon, but after that I wont have to see her so often.

Last Friday she phoned me and to let me know that my results were in, and that I have skin cancer. She told me over the phone, because there was a mix up in the past between her telling me results and my own family doctor. I kinda appreciated that because I would have been so worried if she said she needed to speak to me. She said that I have caught it at an early stage, and I will need surgery. The conversation ended so quick, BUT at the time, I had nothing to say, even though I had a million questions and thoughts running through my head. The main thing was...AHH IM ONLY 22 AND I HAVE CANCER, I kinda didn't believe it, because its just one of those things that you know can happen but you dont think it will.

I went to see her today, plus my family doctor, right now they are more concerned about how I am coping with the stress of all this and what are the next steps in preventing it from spreading. To be honest, I am worried but she told me that she is sending me to the best team of surgeons in Ontario that deal strictly with melanoma patients. The thought of someone saying you have cancer, is enough to make anyone feel down, but I did alot of research and I've learned alot. I dont leave my house unless I am wearing 30 sunblock (I have been doing this already for the last year), and I plan to wear sunglasses alot more because melanoma in the eyes can cause alot of damage. I also do not plan on soaking up the sun how I once did. At first I freaked out because of the summer holidays plus winter vacation, but that just means I have more time to be active and do fun things that I never did because I would just wanted to lay in the sun.

I am waiting for my doctor to call me back to tell me when I am going to women's college hospital to meet with my surgeon. My situation is dangerous and pretty severe but I do know that there is someone out there that is in a worst situation and I should be lucky that I will be monitored and it will be surgically removed.

Everyone around me keeps saying how relaxed I seem about it, I'm not as relaxed as it seems, its just I have to talk about it on my terms, and when I'm ready. I feel like I have all this pressure now, and how I should be when I'm outside, and what I should be doing differently. I already know this stuff, I have known this the day I decided to stop using indoor tanning beds. I did research before, unfortunately damage was already done to my body, the only thing I can do now is be more pro-active in taking care of myself

This made me realize how crazy and how many of us, well me any way take the littlest things for granted, lucky for me my cancer is treatable, but there are many people's whose isn't.

Another important thing I learnt, is that if you feel uneasy its probably best to go get checked out before its too late, because if I wasn't already seeing a dermatologist I would have never found out because I don't really feel different or sick for that matter.

One last note, just when we think things can't get any worse, THEY DO, and they did. BUT...just when you think things can't get any better, they do, and they will!!

xoxo

S.

3 comments:

  1. wow powerful ending to your note S. It gave me chills.

    I love you, you know that.. with all my heart. I know I told you this but we have SO MUCH TO LEARN IN LIFE and from eachother. This is one of them for me. You WILL get better because your strong S. I see that everyday and its practically innate in you. I'm truly happy it was caught at an early stange, and it gives me comfort to know that alot can and will be done to treat your cancer.

    I will be there every step of the way, you need me im here, I will not pressure you with anything, if you ever need to speak to me, or need somoene you know S, you knowwww, Im always going to be here <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. The C word is always scary to hear, I'm so happy you caught it early and it is very curable. , We all need to be more positive and enjoy the small stuff cause Life hits you when you least expect it. I can tell your very strong and you will probably take this situation as a way to better yourself, as will most people just from reading about your experience. Stay strong, positive and always have faith, surround yourself with good energy, you may not want to talk about it but maybe take up a form of meditation. It's a good way to ease your mind (a walk in nature works best for me)

    Love your last quote and I hope you carry those words with you through your journey "just when you think things can't get any better, they do, and they will!!"

    Your in my thoughts and prayers You will get through this and you'll end up stronger than before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do seem so positive about this. Good for you. I think you are right. Sounds like you are in the best of hands and caught it early. Hugs to you. I wish you the best my dear!

    ReplyDelete